Friday, December 27, 2013

Making contacts to find a ride to Antarctica

December 27, 2013

"When you run into a wall, do not pound on the wall. Just locate the door." - Guru Singh


If you want to find a free ride and have no sailing experience, I will show you one way to get there. I am learning as I go and still do not have a set ride. But, I am going. 100%. 

The sailing season to the continent of Antarctica are the summer months from November until March. Over the winter (summer months in the northern hemisphere), I lived near the southern tip of the continent of South America. Here I continue to network with many people and have put myself in a good position to sail.

One of the best contacts I have is a couple named Greg Landreth and Keri Lee-Paschuk. They have a beautiful sailboat named Northanger and I worked with them for a month in the winter for a couple weeks this December. Although they do not plan to go to Antarctica, they have been an amazing contact to help me find a safe ride across the Drake Passage.

They taught me that there are two towns from which sailboats leave to cross the Drake Passage and arrive on the Antarctic peninsula. These towns are Puerto Williams and Ushuaia. Over the past month (December), I have been networking in these towns, meeting fascinating sailors from all over the world. I knock on each sailboat's deck to introduce myself and explain how keen I am to help them sail. Persisting through many no's and continually introducing myself to more people, I have found myself in a good situation.

Nothing is 100%, but I have a chance to get on a couple different boats the first week of January. The trips last about 24 days.

Stay in touch. An amazing chapter of this trip is coming soon.



Also, another thanks to the Erratic Rock family in Puerto Natales. This is my home away from home. They invited me to celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas and have treated me like a loving family.



Puerto Williams

Plane getting set to fly from Punta Arenas to Puerto Williams

Plane ride with incredible view of the Beagle Canal and Darwin Mountain Range

Don't tell the guidebooks this plane ride is cheap and amazing


Yacht club in Puerto Williams with Dientes de Navarino in the background
Puerto Williams, from Cerro Bandera trail. The town, which is on Navarino Island, is considered the southernmost town in the world. Across the Beagle Canal is the island of Tierra de Fuego.


My stay in Puerto Williams was made comfortable by Luis and his generous and loving family. Luis is holding his adorable niece Leoni. Thank you all!

Ushuaia

Yacht club in Ushuaia

Ushuaia near the yacht club






No comments:

Post a Comment