Friday, October 11, 2013

The Atlantic Coast of Argentina

October 25th, 2013

"Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing." - Mother Teresa




Puerto Pirámides - Whales, Penguins and Elephant Seals



Most recently I hitchhiked in the back of a truck to Puerto Pirámides, Argentina in the Valdes Peninsula. I stayed there for ten days, camping out and staying in a small trailer park. I was welcomed by friends of friends that live in the small town of four hundred people, and felt right at home with their hospitality. Thank you for everything Gisele, Maxi, Ayelen, Susana, Cristian, Mariana, Maite, Mini, Sanda, Tina and Susana of the town. Thanks also to my camping neighbors Lucas and Julia and later Fernando, Stefany, Karla and your adorable son, Simon.

Southern Right Whales come here several months of the year to breed and raise their young. There is also a colony of Magallenic penguins that live here, as well as elephant seals. The following pictures and videos do all the talking. Simply unbelievable!






















Rio Gallegos


My friend Natalia gave me a ride to the edge of town, where I could find a ride on the main route from Rio Grande. As soon as I put my bag down, I turned around to see if any cars were passing so I could put my thumb in the air in hope for a ride. The first person I saw was driving a truck for the Post Office. He stopped. That was fast! I did not know where I would sleep that night, but the driver helped me decide a destination. He told me he was traveling to Rio Gallegos, which is in Patagonia Argentina, on the Atlantic Coast. 'Perfect. Me too' I replied. Not only did he drive me about six hours, but he also offered to pay for my hostel the night we arrived. He said it was his good deed for the day.

Samanta let me stay at her home in Rio Gallegos for a few days and treated me like royalty. Thanks for your incredible generosity!

Caleta Olivia


After several days in Rio Gallegos, I went to my favorite place to find a ride, the gas station at the edge of town. After several minutes asking every truck and auto driver, I found a ride 200 kilometers north to Piedra Buenas. He dropped me off at another gas station and I began asking for a ride further north. Within a few minutes, I met a couple traveling to Caleta Olivia. Perfect, me too. Ruben and Nancy were driving their new van, which they plan to convert into a motor home and travel around the world, back home to Caleta Olivia. On our drive, we got along great and they invited me to their home to spend the night and eat a famous Argentinian Asado, or BBQ. I happily and thankfully accepted their invitation.
Ruben, his neighbor Alberto and I enjoy a cocktail, olives and salami for an appetizer

Our Sunday afternoon BBQ party. Thank you so much Ruben and Nancy for lovingly inviting me to meet your family and stay in your home.

Rada Tilly


After a day in Caleta Olivia, I decided to keep traveling north in the search of whales. I made plans to meet a couchsurfer, Diego, in Rada Tilly. This small town has a long beach and is considered one of the southernmost beaches in Patagonia where you can sunbathe and swim in the warmer months. Diego picked me up and we drove to his house. It was a nice surprise to see his house sat on the boardwalk and we had a front row view of the Atlantic Ocean.
My experience in Rada Tilly was special. Diego is an awesome host and an awesome person with whom to spend time. He has a room full of instruments: drums, guitar, bass, piano, saxophone, alto saxophone, trumpet, bongos and various other small music makers. We played a lot of music together and with his friends. Also, our taste in food and cooking is very similar, so we ate very well.
Thanks Diego and all your friends!

The view from Diego's kitchen. Not a bad place to call home for a week.

Diego, Tete, Andres and Diego enjoy a laugh between jam sessions at Diego's home

The Yellow Submarine is the motor home's name. Diego and his friends plan to travel South America for an undetermined amount of time. They plan to stop in small towns to teach and share arts such as music, documentaries, drawings and more. 

The inside of the submarine. They bought this used motor home and are making repairs to begin their trip before 2014

View from Punta Marquez overlooking the beach of Rada Tilly, and in the far distance is the town of Comodoro

Seagulls on a long walk on the beach

Rada Tilly from above

Diego and Tete enjoy the view of the Atlantic Ocean




Puerto Madryn and Whale Watching


The trip to Puerto Madryn went smoothly and I got rides from two different people. Upon arrival, I was met by Saida, another couchsurfing friend. To my surprise, she had dinner prepared for us. Yum. She is a tour guide and showed me several maps of the surrounding areas to visit. 
Puerto Madryn is located on the New Gulf. This location is ideal for whale breeding a few months of the year, and happens to be now in October. Perfect! Whales to be seen here Southern Right Whales. They are huge mammals, and when fully grown, weigh 40-50 tons and are 40-50 feet in length.



Samanta from Rio Gallegos called one of her childhood friends and asked her to show me around the city. I met with Paula, and she invited me to the school where she teaches English. The past couple days I have talked with her classes and met a ton of students explaining who I am, and what I am doing. It has been a rewarding experience to speak with and inspire these high school students. Thanks for everything Paula.


Paula's class and I pose for the camera! Thanks Paula!

November 4th, 2013

The next several days and weeks I have no specific plans. I'd really like to take advantage of the warm weather and long days. Since I am in the Southern Hemisphere, it is Spring now and the days are getting longer and warmer. Stay in touch. Chao


About a week ago I decided to hitchhike 1000 miles south from Puerto Madryn, Argentina to Punta Arenas, Chile. A very nice couple named Pamela and Martín drove me the majority of the way. They not only fed me well, but offered me to stay at their home. Gracias! 


We will begin sailing from Punta Arenas in less than a month and I got an offer to volunteer near the southern tip of the South American continent near Cabo Froward. I will be traveling to San Isidro tomorrow to begin a volunteer job for a couple weeks. What makes this opportunity so incredible is that there are humpback whales, orcas and emperor penguins that are living there for the season. And the best part is that the group of people inviting me to volunteer have boats, kayaks, snorkel and scuba gear, and an enthusiasm to explore. Stay tuned!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hola hermosas fotos pero no subiste la mía :( BYE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such incredible stories! Thanks for sharing, Jimmy! Keeping you in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erhmehgerd, your hair is so long! BRAIDABLE.

    ReplyDelete