Sunday, July 21, 2013

Torres Del Paine National Park and a New Job

August 22nd, 2013 


"Your intuition will tell you where you need to go; it will connect you with the people you should meet; it will guide you toward work that is meaningful to you - work that brings you joy, work that feels right for you."
Shakti Gawain

Tomorrow I will begin a several month backpack trip around Tierra del Fuego, Spanish for "Land of Fire." This archipelago is just south of the South American mainland and the border between Chile and Argentina divides the sides in half. The Strait of Magellan touches many parts of this island, which has lots of farms, plains, mountains, rivers and wildlife. I will begin my travels at a sheep farm in the northernmost part of Tierra del Fuego on the Chilean side. After this, it is a good question as to what will happen. It is winter, yet I have good gear to camp. I look forward to meeting the country people and witnessing their culture.

Talk soon.


August 13th, 2013


Funny how things work out. A month ago I decided, in my mind, to travel by boat to Antarctica. Now, it is more a reality than ever before. Keri and Greg, the couple that owns Northanger, are amazing. I spent three weeks with them preparing the sailboat to sail in November or December of this year. I also helped them move out of their house. They flew to Greenland last weekend for a fifty day trip around the north pole!

I learned a lot with Keri and Greg. Surprisingly, mostly about food. Keri is an amazing cook, and the couple eats very healthy. Simple things like eating real food, like fruits and vegetables, instead of processed food. Also to chew your food completely before swallowing, and to not speak while food is in your mouth. What a difference this makes!

I arrived to Natales yesterday, and do not have a plan as to what my next step will be. I am ready to start traveling again, and have a desire to travel around Tierra del Fuego. I have a couple months free until late November, when I will meet Keri and Greg in Punta Arenas to do final prep to the sailboat. If all goes well, I will work with them through the summer (through February).

Until then, stay tuned.

Northanger


The inside is receiving attention. Cozy though.

Whole wheat homemade delicious bread

Greg teaches me how to make bagels
Homemade whole wheat bagels!


July 21st, 2013


Tomorrow, July 22nd, I will be moving to Punta Arenas, Chile for two weeks to begin a new volunteer job. I will be working with a Canadian/New Zealand couple that has a sailboat docked in Punta Arenas for the winter. They have invited me to work with them on the sailboat in preparation for the spring and summer months when the boat, Northanger, will be at sea. I am excited to learn the skills necessary to sail, as it will further my chances of finding a way to Antarctica. Not only this, but I have the opportunity to sail to fjords and islands around Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego which few people in the world have an opportunity to see. Stay tuned for what is to happen next.

Torres Del Paine National Park

I camped four nights and trekked five days through the stunning national park of Torres Del Paine. What a beautiful place! Since now is low season in winter, I had the park almost to myself. Enjoy!

Los Cuernos Mountain Range - This is a scenic outlook on our drive to the starting point of our trek.

Los Cuernos, Paine Grande and a beautiful reflection. Every step I took, I got close to these mountains.



Glacier Grey and Lago Grey. This glacier is part of the southern ice field of Patagonia. This ice field is considered to be the second largest ice field in the world stretching 220 miles long and 6500 square miles!

Another view of Glacier Grey

Pieces of the glacier that break off float in the lagoon

Blue ice!



Shaky bridge near Camp Italiano

View from the bridge of Paine Grande, the largest mountain in the park

This picture displays the Cuernos Mountain Range taken from the infamous French Valley



Another view from the French valley

Puma paw print!!








No comments:

Post a Comment