Thursday, February 7, 2013

Pichilemu and a new perspective of Santiago


Santiago

It's amazing how your perception and attitude towards a town drastically changes after you meet awesome people. I've been able to stay with Gustavo, a childhood friend of Raúl's. He's introduced me to several other great friends and treated me with generosity and love. Their mutual friend, Diego and his girlfriend Natalia, have invited me to their home too. They have shown me a different side to Santiago. The first Tuesday evening of every month, they have a bicycle rally where hundreds of cyclists take over the streets around the busy city traffic. Pedestrians and all automobiles have to wait 15-20 minutes for the procession of cyclists to pass until normal traffic continues. The purpose of this is to promote clean transportation.

Diego, Gustavo myself and Raúl

I have a new respect for Santiago. It is a huge town with a lot going on . A lot of people love the amount of things to do here in the city, and in the nearby mountains. Diego and I cycled up to the infamous statue of San Cristobal to enjoy the views of the city and the nearby Andes moutain range. Great fun.

I've been reading and learning a lot about creating the type of experience that I would like to live. It's incredible how it plays out. I've been in Chile now for over two weeks, and I've paid for only three nights in hostels. Two nights being the first nights here. This definitely helps my budget, but also creates a unique experience while traveling. I'm almost totally immersed with spanish speakers, learning and living in their culture, and having a blast at the same time.

I will be staying here in Santiago for the weekend before traveling south to a small town called Angol. I will be camping out there for an indefinite amount of time with some awesome people I haven't met yet.

My rough plan is to find some really small towns while traveling south in Chile. There I will find more amazing people to spend my time with and enjoy the mountains during the summertime. Chile is really a huge country. It is 3000 miles long, and the climates and cultures change drastically from north to south.



Pichilemu

I took the bus from Valparaiso to Pichilemu and it took a little longer than expected. I didn't arrive to the small beach town until 10pm. I was a little scared because I had my backpack, with everything I need, and was about to enter a town I knew nothing about after dark. I affirmed to myself that everything would be great, and I wouldn't mind paying a little extra to be safe. I arrived and the first woman I asked directed me to a taxi and the taxi drive me directly to a hostel where I was hoping to stay, although unsure if they had an open bed. I knocked in the door, which was in the middle of a neighborhood, and took a couple steps back, letting my nose take in an unbelievable smell. I heard English! An Australian opened the door and invited me in, saying they had an open bed. There were several Americans, Australians and Swiss travelers cooking an amazing dinner. I felt right at home. It was so great to speak English for the first time in over a week! We shared an amazing meal and fell asleep excited to surf the next morning.

I rented a surf board for four days and took advantage of the waves around Pichilemu. One morning we went to the infamous Punta de Lobos surf break and I really got my butt kicked. All in good fun though. The second day in the town, I contacted a girl named Andrea from couch surfing. She invited me to stay at her house the next several days of the trip. Thanks for everything Andrea. Delicious food, a nice bed, and your company was appreciated.

5 comments:

  1. Jimmy!!! Having such time reading about your adventures :) .. wished u a happy bday on the 4th , but realized u don't have ur phone... so belated bday love to u babe! I'll be living vivaciously thru u! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps anna wants to know more about ur neti pot! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are you today, man? It's my birthday, and it's my party, and .., I thrilled by your journey, live young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jimmy, It was great to hear from you the other day. I really enjoy reading about all your travels. Rosalee

    ReplyDelete