Wednesday, December 26, 2012

East Coast of US (Nov 22nd - Dec 23rd)



Before the east coast adventure, I drove 2800 miles and 42 hours from Los Angeles to Florida with a couple pit stops along the way. The first stop was in Colorado, where I spent quality time with good friends that I worked with the past several summers. After a week there, I drove to Kansas City to visit Hank Lee on his birthday. After spending the night there, I drove home to St Louis, re-packed my car, and then drove to Florida.
The day I arrived in Florida, I took a flight to Cancun, Mexico to enjoy 'sizzler.' This is an all-inclusive incentive trip that Southwestern offers to all students participating in their summer program. Great friends. Great memories. Thanks Southwestern for the impact you’ve had in my life. Very fun!
After the Mexico trip, I was invited to a wedding in Texas to celebrate some dear friends sharing their love for one another...



Texas
Sam and Elle Best soak it all in surrounded by friends and family in Sisterdale, TX


Myself with my siblings Maryellen and Jeffrey
What a group! A big group from the wedding met for brunch in the small town of Sisterdale. Southwestern friends mixed with Sam & Elle's friends from college in CA.



Dena Young, furthest left, invited me to stay at her house the days I spent in Austin. We had a delicious dinner party and invited mutual friends for a great time. Thanks also to Nate Foss for letting me stay at your house too.

Now begins the month long trip from Florida to New York. Enjoy.

Florida

Orlando –I flew to Orlando on Thanksgiving and was invited to the Collin’s home for a delicious dinner. What great hosts! Thank you Brooks and Maureen. You have an awesome family.
Tampa – I was lucky to visit multiple friends on my visit to Tampa. The three days I was there, I was able to visit about a dozen friends! Megan O’Brien and Erin Yonke surprised me with a boat ride in late November. They thought I was crazy, but I thought I was crazy not to ski. Thanks girls! I was lucky to catch my cousins at a baseball game and had a picnic with their family. That turkey pot pie was outstanding! Great to see you guys.
While in Tampa, I received a call from a good friend from college, Bruno Chiurliza. We caught each other up on our recent experiences and I learned he would soon have no immediate plans for the next several weeks. On a whim, I asked if he would like to join me on the road trip for the next couple weeks on my way to see my old roommate from college, Adam Lambert. He immediately bought into the idea, and I told him I would pick him up in Miami in 2 days.
Nothing like December water-skiing in Florida. That was so much fun Meghan and Erin!

Baseball game with some loving cousins! Josh and Jessie, Caroline, Gabe Sr and Jr, McKenzie, Joshua and Jeremiah - Thank you for cooking a delicious picnic dinner and spending time with me. Gabe, thanks for teaching me how to throw a curveball. Gabe Jr, good luck with your baseball skills.

Miami – Bruno, his mom Ada, and younger sister, let me stay at their home for the days I was in Miami. What an extremely hospitable family! They were all excited to introduce me to their relatives in Peru, Argentina and other countries in South America. Their generosity and hospitality makes me excited for what is to come in South America.
We met Adam Berrier, my old roommate and good friend from Southwestern, in Fort Lauderdale to hit the town. Thanks Adam for the great memories. Your mustache is great.
Jacksonville – Bruno’s old roommate and good friend Art, let us stay at his home in Jacksonville Beach. Thanks Art! I was able to relax on Jax beach with Brian Ross and his toddler daughters. Later that day, Brian and Jen Harbin invited me to dinner at their home. Thank you for delicious chicken noodle soup and introducing me to your newest son, Max. Also, I made a surprise appearance to the ‘Sandwich Shop’ restaurant on Beach Blvd. During a recent summer with Southwestern, my roommates and I would eat breakfast here every morning. The ownership and staff is great! Thanks for your warm hearts!

Tallahasee – Bruno and I drove 3 hours from Jacksonville to our old college town, Tallahassee. I called my dear friend Kyle Schaller, a week previous to plan a potluck dinner with some friends. She arranged the evening, and the night we arrived, we had a special potluck dinner in Woodville, FL. Pam and Lee hosted the event at their lovely home and invited many friends from their intentional community to enjoy great food, games and company. After dinner, we played ‘running charades’, a game that follows every potluck.
Kristy and Paul, neighbors of Pam and Lee, invited me to their home to spend the night. Their beautiful home was amazing to stay for a couple days. They have a natural spring/sink hole in their back yard that we swam in every day. Thank you so much for inviting me to your home!
Pam, the teacher who really introduced me to yoga, invited me to her classes every day during my visit. Thanks so much for being a true inspiration, Pam. One of the mornings in Woodville, she invited Bruno and me to Wakulla Springs to swim with the manatees. I was stoked she asked! Sure enough, there were about 11 manatees swimming in the springs. Because the water in crystal clear, we were about to see them from above, and snorkel in arms reach with them. What friendly animals!
Kyle and her husband Dustin, Pam’s son, invited me to their home for delicious chicken and vegetable soup. I fell in love with their 5 month old son, Eli. He smiles all the time and is adorable. Thanks Kyle and Dustin for creating such a beautiful baby, and for being so darn cool. The three of us know each other from our college years at Florida State.
Paul and Kristy's beautiful back yard. Bruno enjoys a book while relaxing in the hammock

Pam swims with manatees in Wakulla Springs, which are considered to be the world's largest and deepest freshwater springs. Even though they are vulnerable to extinction, these manatees are very friendly and swam with us for a while.


Pam enjoys her time with two manatees


 
Pam and Bruno swim with the manatees

Pam enjoys time with her awesome grandson, Eli.


Atlanta, GA – Laura Cushing, the aunt of Audrey Owens, opened her home to Bruno and me the night we stayed in Atlanta. Thanks Laura! You are super generous and it is most definitely appreciated. Our time here was short, but we made the best of it by spending time with several friends that I worked with at Southwestern. These friends are all over the country, eh.
Asheville, NC – Our first stop in Asheville was to Missie and Dwight Dykes home. They are the parents of Adam Lambert, my roommate from college. I consider them to be a second family to me. When we arrived, their smiles warmed my bones and we went to downtown Asheville to enjoy Friday night. They totally spoiled us by treating us to delicious beers, dinner and great conversations. Thank you so much! We stayed the two nights at their family friends’ home, Barb and Henry. Thanks for the meals, super clean home, and hilarious conversations.
Bruno and I show off our gingerbread house. Doris, in between us, invited us over to have a party to compete for the best gingerbread house. What a great night! Thanks Doris and Joe.

Dwight and Missie spoil us our first night in Asheville at the Thirsty Monk

Missie and Shelby (dog) say goodbye to Bruno and me as we leave Asheville en route for Roanoke, VA. The view is from the front yard of Missie and Dwight's home.





 Roanoke, VA – Kyle Scaller’s parents, Dick and Lauren Jackson, live on a beautiful farm in Roanoke and invited us to stay as long as our hearts desired. Their farm is amazing, and the first and only time I visited was to celebrate the marriage of Kyle and Dustin a couple years previous. Thanks for your specialty dish of spaghetti and for completely opening your home to us.

Quote from kitchen of the Jackson home
                   

Waynesboro/Keezletown, VA – The evening we arrived, Bruno and I were excited to surprise Adam with Bruno’s presence. Dwight, Missy and I kept a pretty good secret in saying I was the only person coming to visit. I met Adam, Dwight, and their friend Joe at a restaurant. We reminisced for a few minutes before Bruno came in with a Jerri curl wig and shades. He approached Adam by asking ‘Excuse me, do you know where the bathroom is?’ Adam pointed and quickly responded ‘Yea, it right here around the corner.’ Bruno then revealed his face and took his wig off to Adam’s surprise. Dwight, Joe and I laughed at our successful surprise and Bruno joined us for dinner.
Adam treated us very generously, as he always does. Thanks Adam for being you. 

Adam's new home in Waynesboro, Virgina
Adam treats us to coon hunting at Massanutten Mountain. After hiking for about 4 hours through thick and thin trees and bushes, we found the hound dog and the coon. Although blurry, there is a coon in that tree.

                                                          There's a coon up in that tree!

Way to go Amos!

Adam, Bruno and I at the 'Purple Foot' in Waynesboro


Bruno captures the moment near the Blue Ridge Parkway




New York - Bruno and I drove to Brooklyn to visit my dear friend, Michael Beck. Mike moved there a couple years ago to pursue his music career as a drummer. Mike not only let us crash on his couch, but he and his girlfriend Lauren spoiled me in the big city. Thank you very much for your generosity!

Mike and I board the subway from Brooklyn to Manahattan for a night on the town
Bruno and Mike enjoy the view of New York City and the East River from Brooklyn


After two days in New York, Mike and I road tripped from Brooklyn to St Louis. We caught a storm in Pennsylvania and Ohio, but we made it safely a couple days before Christmas. I am currently in St Louis and will be here until January 19th, 2013. This date I will fly to Santiago, Chile. This will begin the Americas adventure.

I know this is a lengthy blog, so whether you read the entire blog or skimmed through enjoying pictures, I hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for following!

2 comments:

  1. That was beautiful, man! What an adventure!!! Maybe I'll get to meet you up in Peru or somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Jimy soy Fabiola que gusto ver las fotos de tu viaje... espero que estés muy bien !
    Un abrazo enorme

    ReplyDelete