Monday, September 1, 2014

Learning Meditation

Vipassana Retreat
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched -- they must be felt with the heart" Helen Keller
 

Housing Quarters for men


I learned of this ten day silent mediation retreat years ago. It intimidated me. No communication for ten days! Ten hours of mediation everyday! Sounds intense. It is. Words echoed in my memory when thinking of a challenge. "The  greater the challenge, the greater the reward." I decided to do it for multiple reason but mainly to learn more about myself and how my mind  works.
 
All over the world, Vipassana style mediation retreats are given throughout the year. The style of mediation was invented and gifted to the world over 2,500 years ago by Siddartha Guatama, more famously known as Buddha. The course provides the location, a place to sleep, healthy food, teaching and and environment where there are few distractions. At the end of the course, you can give a donation of whatever amount you feel is just.
 
What I experienced?
This was one of the most mentally challenging things I've ever done. It was quite the roller coaster of emotions. Certain days, and throughout these days, I would feel excited, tired, doubt, faith, pain, motivated, unmotivated, loneliness, community, the whole spectrum. Sometimes very strong, sometimes very subtle. And I was to process all these emotions without communicating!
 
What I learned?
Wow. I learned, and I am learning so much from this experience!
One goal is to observe your orderless, erratic 'monkey mind' as it jumps from one emotion or thought to another. These thoughts happen so fast and have no sense of order, and most of us live without control or awareness of it.
I am learning to observe these thoughts and emotions without judgment, without labels of good or bad. Just observing. I am more conscious of when my mind wanders off on irrelevant or unimportant topics. I am more conscious of how my body feels throughout the day. I am learning how authentic appreciation and giving generously makes us feel true joy. I am learning patience as I take small steps on a long path in my spirituality.
 
Who can do it?
Anyone! There is no religion affiliated with vipassana. Any person from any religious or atheist practice will benefit from the practice. So anyone who feels like they want more balance in their life, more awareness and joy, I strongly recommend this retreat.

There is a small river that runs through the property in Calca. A beautiful place to spend time during our breaks

No comments:

Post a Comment