Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Sailing the Patagonian Channels on Imvubu

 "The only thing that stands between you and your dream is the will to try and the belief that it is actually possible." Joel Brown

It is amazing how things fall into place. We returned to Ushuaia from Antarctica on February 3rd. Throughout our trip, I was on a roller coaster of emotions as far as how I liked sailing. Crossing the Drake Passage for three days of non stop boat rocking seemed to never end whilst in the moment. As soon as we reached calm waters, I forgot about the tough times and began enjoying the good.

So I decided to find work on another yacht. After an afternoon knocking on every boat in the dock asking if they needed extra crew, I heard nothing but "no" and began to accept that maybe it was not meant to be. Later that night Jordan Mowbray, the captain of 'Commitment', gave me a heads up that a South African captain was looking for crew. Sweet.

My dear friend Molly and I introduced ourselves to Ralf Dominick on his private yacht, Imvubu. It seemed that immediately we all knew we would be working together and the next day he offered us crew position to help him sail from Ushuaia, Argentina to Puerto Montt, Chile. Molly and I seem to have found an excellent teacher and will be receiving private sailing lessons as it is just the three us us on the this trip. The route spans the Patagonian channels that neighbor ice fields, mountains, glaciers, wildlife and more that we will learn about. The trip will last about one month and we begin tomorrow, February 12th.
Life is great.

And an early happy birthday to my younger sister, Maryellen and my Mom. Love you both!!

Here are the pictures from our trip. We sailed ten days from Ushuaia. Argentina to Puerto Natales, Chile and decided to end our trip early.

Saloon and communication station on Imvubu


Seals playing in water


Imvubu from a distance in Puerto Natales







Molly and I enjoy the views

1 comment:

  1. Really nice sharing I am impressed! Your shared information is very helpful for all readers. Professionally I am also a tourist and visited a lot of places around the world. I also visited this region a month ago after my corning glass tours with my friends. South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands are one of my favorite places there. It is one of the most remote collections of islands on the planet, the South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands are not destinations to be found on the itineraries of many adventurers.

    ReplyDelete