Thursday, May 29, 2014

World Cup in Brazil

June 27th, 2014

This blog is to prove, again, that anything is possible. 


"Keep on going, and the chances are that you will stumble upon something,
perhaps when you are least expecting it. I never heard of anyone stumbling on
something sitting down." Charles Kettering



 Belgium plays Russia in Rio de Janeiro! I had a ticket to this game.


Holland plays Australia in Porto Alegre - snuck into the end of this game or free.

I heard from numerous people that entering Brazil around world cup time is difficult, especially when one does not have a mandatory travel visa. In fact, I do not think anyone told me I would be able to get in...Well, it happened. I got in without the 'mandatory' travel visa required for Americans. This happened without forcing anything; I simply believed it would happen and showed up. The second 'impossible' feat was to enter a world cup game without having purchased a ticket. Read on...   After several long days and nights spent on buses, I arrived to the border of Uruguay and Brazil at the town of Chuy. The travels began in San Salvador, Peru, crossed the Bolivian border at Lake Titicaca, crossed through Bolvia and into Argentina.  I spent a couple days with my friend Tete in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Thanks for hosting me Tete! Then I took a ferry to Montevideo, Uruguay where I spent a week with my Chilean friend Raul. I met Raul in the first week of this journey in valparaiso, chile. He and his girlfriend, Paula were great hosts! It was great to be welcomed to their home like an old friend. From Montevideo, I traveled by bus to the Brazilian border. 
Raul and Paula!
 At the border in Chuy, Brazil, I did not want to get in trouble, and told the immigration officers I did not have a visa. He did not seem to care or understand, did not ask me any questions, and stamped my passport. I was laughing silently in disbelief. 'Really? I can cross? I'm good to travel in brazil?' I asked. Brazilians do not speak nor understand very much Spanish, as they speak Portuguese. He said yes, so I picked up my rucksack and continued. Yippee, I am in. World cup! The first stop in Brazil was an 8 hour bus ride from Chuy to Porto Alegre. We arrived first thing in the morning, so I began to arrange a place to stay. Accommodation prices are very inflated as there are thousands of tourists all over Brazil. For a hostel, some places charged around 80 us dollars for a shared dorm bed, which usually cost around 15 dollars. Luckily, I found a local throug AirBnb who offered a couch in her apartment for 30 dollars and night.   Next impossible feat: getting into a world cup game without a ticket, and for free. Holland and Australia played a match in Porto Alegre; tickets were sold out. I was determined to get in, so that's what happened. It was not easy, but anything is possible. There are police officers that guard fences a half mile outside the stadium, keeping everyone without a ticket far from the stadium. I made friends with one of the police officers and he let me get near the stadium just after halftime. Then the next challenge was to get past security and ticket collectors. I ran to five different gates, getting told no each time. Persistence payed off the sixth time; I got past security and ran towards the stadium. I entered the stadium and I wish you and I could have seen my smile. I found an empty seat and thoroughly enjoyed the last 15 minutes of the match.  
Success!
After a couple days in Porto alegre, I took a 19 hour bus to São Paulo, one of the biggest cities in the world. I arrived to the big city and tried to get into the Uruguay vs England match. This time I was unsuccessful getting into the game, but obtained a ticket stub and gotto the gates. While in São Paulo, I met a friend from university, Julio Hernandez. It was so great to see a familiar face, a friend I have had for years. Julio invited me to stay with his friend, Carol, who lives in the city. Carol runs a hostel named Morumbi Hostel and is such an incredible host! She treated me like family, and was a pleasure to meet. 
Photo!
 While staying with them, I found a ticket to a match for $175 US dollars. Russia and Belgium played in Rio de Janeiro. So I took an overnight bus to Rio, and I was amazed at how beautiful this coastal town is. Big green hills, lakes, islands, beaches, ocean, sunshine. And the fruit. Yumm. I bought a huge bag of fruit and had breakfast on the beach before taking the underground metro to the match. What intense and exciting energy on the metro, in the game, and around the city for the game. It was a total blast. 
Rio de Janeiro
Beach at Impanema, Rio de Janeiro

 I took the night bus back to São Paulo and stayed with Carol and Julio for a couple more days. We had beautiful conversations, delicious meals and enjoyed one anothers presence. 
Carol and Julio and I enjoy a home cooked meal
 Now I am traveling to the Peru border via Assis, Brasil. Uncharacteristically, I bought a flight from São Paulo to Rio Branco. I took a bus to Assis and then cross the Peru border on my way to Cusco. There I will meet a childhood friend named Ricky Gamp. Ricky has been planning to meet me and travel in south America for a couple years and now it is happening. We plan to hike to Machu Picchu the first week of our trip, and then we have an open itinerary for two months. What will we create and manifest..?
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment