Tuesday, October 2, 2012

San Diego (Sept 9th and 23rd - 27th)


     Devon, Krystal and I drove to San Diego from Las Vegas September 8th. The drive was beautiful and we arrived in the early evening. His three friends from Hawaii go to school at University of San Diego and live on the boardwalk in mission beach. Pictures are below. What a great place to live. They said they surf every day, if not multiple times per day. They brought me surfing the first day and the current got the best of me. Very hospitable friends that let me stay two nights at the beachfront house. 


Looks like a surfers home

These guys would play music, read and relax while people walked the boardwalk. Great place to 'cruise.' This is a Hawaiian word that is used like we say 'chill.'



     The next day I met with my cousin Stellie Powers, who also goes to school at USD. She moved into a new house a couple blocks from the beach in mission. She is such a great person to see and visit. We went to a Padres baseball game against the LA Dodgers and watched the Padres win to help the Cardinals get closer to getting into the playoffs. Stellie and her roommate Caitlin let me stay at there home for 5 days. So thank you both! 


Stellie!!!



     A great friend from college at Florida State, Amanda Moskowitz, met me one of the days here too. She and I worked in a Psychology lab together and got along really well. She is from Los Angeles originally and drove down to hang out for a day. We had a great time visiting Old Town, going to the beach, watching the sunset at Mt. Soledad and La Jolla cove. 




Amanda overlooking the coast from Mt. Soledad

La Jolla Cove - If you look closely, you can find seals and birds


     Cousin Joe Dougherty has lived in the San Diego area for about 5 years and I called him to schedule a time to meet. I asked, "Where are you living nowadays?" Joe replied "Well, I'm kind of mobile . . . I sleep in my van." I couldn't help but laugh for his character and the stories I have heard about Joe are hilarious. He is a really great guy with a great heart. He took me to Encenitas, Del Mar, Torrey Pines Golf Course and lastly Ocean Beach for a farmers market. He showed me some of his favorite neighborhoods to walk around and taught me multiple names of trees and flowers. Some of these fig trees were monstrous!




1 comment:

  1. Such a good time, Jimbo! More fun to come in LA :)

    Laurve,

    Amanduh

    ReplyDelete